Click here to edit subtitle

Civil Litigation

Small Claims:  In New Jersey, small claims cases may be brought for certain actions with claims up to $3,000.  Such actions may include, but are not limited to, breach of contract, damage to or loss of property, and claims for back rent.  Actions for the return of a tenant's security deposit may also be filed as a small claims matter provided the demand amount does not exceed $5,000.   Just because you are involved in a small claims matter does not mean that you may not benefit from consulting an attorney.   Contact our office to learn how we can help you.

Special Civil Part:  Actions with demand amounts up to $15,000 in New Jersey may be filed through the Special Civil Part. The civil causes of actions  that may be alleged are the same as those for small claims, except that professional malpractice claims (such as against a dentist) within the prescribed demand limit must be made in the Special Civil Part.  Whether you are the plaintiff or defendant in a matter within the Special Civil Part, representation by an attorney may help ensure that your rights are protected.  Contact our office to discuss your case.

Law Division:  The remainder of the cases that cannot be filed as small claims or in the Special Civil Part fall within the Law Division.  Because such cases may be complex and involve larger demand amounts, representation by competent counsel is highly recommended.  The types of causes of actions that may be alleged varies, so it is important to select an attorney who is knowledgeable in the substantive area of law that is applicable for your case.  Contact our office to schedule an initial consultation.

Time is of the essence:  Regardless of whether you engage an attorney or represent yourself, there will be important deadlines to which you must adhere.  Be mindful of those deadlines and be sure to notify the attorney you hire of pending dates.